Host Commissioner guidelines: People diagnosed with a Learning Disability and/or Autism
NHS England and NHS Improvement published Host Commissioner guidance in January 2021. This describes a clear expectation that as the local CCG we ensure that we have assurances and maintain effective quality surveillance of all services providing inpatient care to people with a learning disability and autistic people within our geographical boundaries. There are two independent inpatient provider services and two NHS Trusts providing inpatient mental health services including a national specialist autism service.
Services in south east London support people who may have been placed by commissioners outside London and as such as a “placing commissioner” this page is meant to be a helpful resource.
You can read this NHS England report to learn more about Host Commissioner guidelines for people diagnosed with a Learning Disability and/or Autism.
You can contact us via our Host Commissioner inbox – firstname.lastname@example.org
At NHS South East London CCG our role as Host Commissioner is to:
- Maintain quality surveillance of our local services.
- Be the point of contact for all placing CCGs in relation to quality assurance queries.
- Collate intelligence and triangulate information to address any quality or safety issues.
- To share and request intelligence across commissioners placing people in our area.
The role of CCGs placing in South East London is to:
- Talk to us prior to admitting a person into south east London.
- Retain oversight for the clinical care of people you place in our area and ensure you’re your contingency plans are robust.
- Talk to us about any quality or governance concerns you identify within south east London services.
- Collaborate with us when we set up collaborative assurance meetings across CCGs. The purpose of these is to share information across stakeholders and work together to support providers to maintain quality, mitigate risk and resolve concerns.
Quality Surveillance in South East London
NHS South East London has a well-established oversight for services in our area and this includes:
- Ongoing and supportive contact to seek assurance about the quality of care delivered.
- Scheduled yearly and responsive quality visits.
- Triangulating other intelligence that arises from other sources such as stakeholders, 6/8-week checks, Care and Treatment Reviews etc.
- Establishing a formal and collaborative assurance process across placing CCGs/LAs and other stakeholders where concerns have been identified.
Reporting safeguarding concerns
We work very closely with our Local Authority safeguarding Leads to share intelligence about any allegations of abuse or neglect. Should you have any safeguarding concerns or wish to make a safeguarding referral it will be your responsibility as placing CCG to contact the relevant Local Authority. Our safeguarding teams will also contact you directly should a local safeguarding concern be raised that involves the person you have placed in south east London.
Please talk to us when you are considering placing a person with a diagnosis of a Learning Disability and/or Autism in south east London .
If you intend to admit a person within south east London we invite you to contact us in advance and we will be able to advise you of any current safety or quality concerns. When contacting us please do not include person identifiable information in your emails. As the Host Commissioner we will never ask for identifiable information about people you place in our area.
How to tell us about a concern
It is important that CCGs placing in south east London talk to us about any quality or governance concerns they may identify. This will help us triangulate information and also address any identified concerns as Host Commissioner. We also encourage our service providers to talk to us about concerns that arise. You can tell us about a concern by emailing our Host Commissioner inbox – email@example.com
South east London inpatient services for people with a Learning Disability and or Autism:
|ELYSIUM HEALTHCARE BROMLEY ROAD HOSPITAL||84-86 Bromley Road, Catford, London, SE6 2UR||Bromley Road, South London – Mental Health Issues Rehabilitation (elysiumhealthcare.co.uk)|
|CYGNET HEALTH CARE LIMITED BOSTALL HOUSE||Bostall Heath, Knee Hill Road, Abbey Wood SE2 0AT||Cygnet Bostall House – Cygnet Health Care|
|OXLEAS NHS FT GOLDIE LEIGH HOSPITAL SITE – ATLAS HOUSE / SOMERSET VILLA||Goldie Leigh Hospital, Lodge Hill, London, SE2 0AY||Oxleas Services – Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust|
|OXLEAS NHS FT |
GREEN PARKS HOUSE
|Woodlands Unit, Queen Mary’s Hospital, Kent, DA14 6LT |
Green Parks House, PRU Hospital, Farnborough Common, Orpington, Kent, BR6 8NY
Stadium road SE18 4QH London UK
|SOUTH LONDON AND MAUDSLEY NHS FT BETHLEM ROYAL HOSPITAL – NATIONAL AUTISM UNIT||Witley House Bethlem Royal Hospital Monks Orchard Road Beckenham BR3 3BX||https://www.slam.nhs.uk/our-services/service-finder-details?CODE=SU0299|
|SOUTH LONDON AND MAUDSLEY NHS FT |
|Oak House, Lambeth Hospital, 108 Landor Road, London, SW9 9NT |
University Hospital Lewisham, Lewisham High Street, SE13 6LW
Mauldsley Hospital Denmark Hill, London, SE5 8AZ
|Service finder (slam.nhs.uk)|