Use the right service in Bromley

Please help us to help you better by using the right service when you are ill.


If you have a cough or cold, hangover, graze or an upset stomach you can treat the symptoms at home – in fact, staying at home and getting plenty of rest is the best place for you.

Bromley Well

The CCG and Bromley Council jointly fund the Bromley Well service which provides help for you to stay emotionally and physically well and to remain independent.


Pharmacists are highly skilled and qualified healthcare professionals who are on hand in the community to answer questions about common health problems and using your medication, such as what is the right dosage, how and when to take the medicines and side effects that could occur.

Although people don’t always think to talk to their pharmacist about these matters, they are an excellent source of advice. And we know from experience that people are more likely to stick to their medicine routine if they get advice from the right healthcare professional in the first place.

Many Bromley pharmacists offer a free medicines use review where you can discuss your medicines and your experiences of taking them.  If you would like a review, speak to your local pharmacist. 

General practice (GP) doctor’s surgery

Whether you feel ill or not it is essential that you register with a GP local to you. Registering is easy and means you have access to a doctor 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

You should visit your GP for injuries and ongoing illness. They will be able to assess your needs and refer you to a specialist if needed.

You can book and cancel GP appointments and order repeat prescriptions using GP online services.  This is a free service.  Please visit your GP practice website for more information or speak to your practice team. 

Many GP surgeries open longer hours. If your GP surgery is closed, call 111 for out of hours advice.

NHS 111 

NHS 111 can help when you have an urgent medical need and are not sure what to do.   Dial 111 to speak to a trained advisor. 

Urgent treatment centre

Use these centres if you have an urgent and severe but not life-threatening illness or health problem including wounds, cuts and sprains.  In Bromley there is an urgent treatment centre at the Princess Royal University Hospital and Beckenham Beacon

Emergency Department 

These are hospital emergency centres that assess and treat patients with life-threatening injuries or illnesses, for example:

  • loss of consciousness
  • very confused state and fits that are not stopping
  • persistent and severe chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped

If you or someone you are with needs life-saving emergency care, call 999 immediately so an ambulance can be arranged.  The Emergency Department for Bromley residents is at the Princess Royal University Hospital.