See page on Post-Covid syndrome for information on long-Covid / post-Covid syndrome
- The London Respiratory Clinical Network has produced two documents to support patient consultations around (1) shared decision making around inhaler choice and (2) maintaining lung health. These may be helpful for healthcare professionals when undertaking clinical reviews of patients with COPD, asthma and other respiratory conditions.
- London Primary Care Respiratory guidance . Detailed guidance on all aspects of Covid planning and management in the Community. (note this document is from 2020 so many parts will be outdated)
Diagnosis and assessment
- SEL guidance for primary care respiratory diagnostics during Covid-19 (updated September 2021)
- See the COVID clinical guidance page for information on use of oximetry at home in patients with suspected or confirmed Covid-19 being managed at home
- Remote assessment in primary care : BMJ paper about assessing shortness of breath using a series of narrative questions remains sound.’ – Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences • University of Oxford
- Support for people with breathing difficulties after COVID-19. Asthma UK and British Lung Foundation
Asthma & COPD
It is important during the COVID pandemic to continue to seek advice and possible referral for patients with complex asthma, and refer to A&E for severe acute, or life threatening asthma exacerbations.
Continue preventers- there is no data showing ICS increase Covid risks. For COPD exacerbation, carefully consider risk/benefits of oral steroids.
- Asthma during COVID-19, how to manage and distinguish asthma presentations from coronavirus presentations
- NICE Asthma – COVID-19, severe asthma rapid review
- BTS advice for Healthcare professionals treating people with asthma in relation to COVID-19
- NICE COPD – COVID-19 COPD rapid review
- Pragmatic Guidance for crisis management of asthma and COPD during UK Covid-19 epidemic (Primary Care Respiratory Society)