- London Guidance for Primary care identification, risk stratification and interventions for patients at increased risk
- Government Guidance on shielding and protecting people who are clinically extremely vulnerable from COVID-19
General Practice is dealing with queries from patients who require support over and above the care and treatment they are receiving for their medical condition. Included in the slide deck above is information, provided by the Government and the NHS, to support staff to answer queries from patients in both the shielded and non-shielded groups who may require additional support during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Psychological support for patients with LTCs
- RCGP: Short course/ presentation on shielding patients
- Supporting people with long-term conditions (CEBM). What conditions should primary care prioritise to reduce hospital admission during COVID-19
- Supporting people with long-term conditions during national emergencies (CEBM)
- London Health podcast (HLP): ‘The Power of Practice Nursing’ – Proactive long-term care during Covid
Southwark-specific: Federations are contacting practices about searches and “COVID proactive care pathway” EMIS template.
- Southwark: Social Prescribing Link Workers: who they are, how they can help and how to refer (North Southwark/ QHS)
- Southwark: Social Prescribing Link Workers: who they are, how they can help and how to refer (IHL/Southwark)
- Advocacy & decision making with vulnerable patients during a time of crisis. Practical advice on complex and sensitive care planning. Help to understanding a patient’s wishes and inform them of onward care processes. Includes sources of support for difficult ethical decisions
- Advance care planning by phone or video: Compassion in Dying resource . This framework has been designed to support GPs to have advance care planning conversations with patients by phone or video, in the context of COVID-19.
- Ethical support: Poster outlining process and support for complex care planning and ethical questions. Includes sources of support.
- NHS Guidance on Advance care planning with patient template
- Discussing emergency planning (BMJ) – a brief and useful guide
- Suggested ‘script’ for calling patients to discuss ACP/
- Advanced care planning – is it different with COVID-19. Useful local presentation covering key issues.
Caring for patients with LTCs during Covid
Highest risk are Diabetes and Cardiovascular patients, as well as elderly and deprived. Identify and proactively contact higher risk patients to optimise and coordinate their care.
Coordinate My Care (CMC) resources:
- CMC service development. You can now include COVID specific category in your CMC plan
- Overview of CMC
- Quick guide – covers how practices can search for patients that have a CMC plan
- Resource pack
Collated to respond to the frequently asked questions, to assist local health and care systems to increase use of CMC. CMC is an accepted record of advance care plans and referenced in the Primary Care and Community Respiratory Resource pack for use during COVID-19 (issued on the 27th March (Appendix 1).
- CMC introduction for professionals
- How to create and update CMC plans
- CMC top tips
- Link for patients to create a CMC plan at home plus a support video
Do not use clinical frailty scale on younger patients with stable long term disabilities such as Downs, or for patients with learning disability or autism.