Comments and complaints

We do all we can to provide good quality health services, but sometimes things don’t go as they should. We welcome people telling us about how we can improve, or make a complaint about the service they have received from NHS South East London Clinical Commissioning Group. 
We are also very pleased to receive positive feedback and compliments about our work or the quality of health services you have received as a local resident.

Who can I talk to about my concerns?

In most cases the best way to resolve your concerns as quickly as possible is with the staff of the service or organisation you are complaining about.  It is helpful if the NHS organisation/primary care practitioner providing the service is made aware of your concerns as they may be able to sort these out for you. You can do this immediately by speaking to a member of staff in that organisation. 

Complaints about GPs, dentists, pharmacists or opticians

If you have a complaint about a GP, dentist, pharmacist or optician that cannot be resolved locally with the practice manager or pharmacist, you should contact NHS England.

Tel: 0300 311 2233 (free national number)


Complaints against a hospital or other community health services

If you have a complaint concerning other  health services in south east London (not GPs, dentists, pharmacists or opticians), please contact the Complaints or Patient Advice and Liaison Department at the organisation providing the service for information about how to raise a concern or complaint.​  You will find this information on their websites. 

Supporting you in making an NHS complaint

If you feel you would like some independent help or support with your NHS related complaint, you can contact the appropriate advocacy service who can represent your views and support you when you are making a complaint about the NHS.

To get support to make a health complaint in Bexley, you can contact Advocacy for All

To get support to make a health complaint in Bromley, you can contact The Advocacy People.

To get support to make a health complaint in Greenwich, Lambeth and Southwark you can contact POhWER.

To get support to make a health complaint in Lewisham, you can contact Healthwatch Lewisham

Anyone who is receiving/has received treatment/care from an NHS organisation or primary care provider. You can also complain on behalf of someone else if you have their permission to do so in writing.

You should normally complain within 12 months of the event, or within 12 months of becoming aware that you have something to complain about. It is sometimes possible to extend this time limit if there are good reasons why you could not complain earlier.

You can make a complaint verbally, in writing or by email. If you wish to complain about a hospital, community or mental health provider please contact those directly.   If you have any comment or complaint regarding the commissioning of a service please contact the Patient Experience Team at:

Tel:  0800 328 9712

Your complaint will be acknowledged within three working days of receipt. This may be by telephone or in writing. Arrangements will be made to contact you to discuss how you would like your complaint to be handled.

Your concerns will be investigated and you will receive a reply which will aim to show that your concerns have been fully investigated.

Once an organisation believes it has done its utmost to try to address your concerns it will be explained that local resolution is complete and you will be directed to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman . The Ombudsman is independent of both the NHS and the Government and will decide if your complaint should be investigated further. You will need to contact the Ombudsman within 12 months of receiving a final response.